Ethics Workshop: How to Recognize the Top 10 Problem Practice Areas Facing Psychologist
March 8, 2024: 8:00am to 12:15pm; 4 Ethics CEs for licensed Psychologists
Anderson Center, 7850 Five Mile Road, Cincinnati, OH 45230
Speaker: Glenn Karr, Esq., expert lawyer in private law practice that advises on regulatory insurance law, health care law, corporate, business, non-profit, and employment discrimination.
The course is designed to help you avoid problems in the ten main areas that Glenn Karr has found increase the risk to psychologists for licensing board and lawsuit complaints. It is essentially a risk management workshop with a strong emphasis on ethical considerations.
You will learn how to recognize the top ten problem areas, which include: dealing with supervision issues, high conflict divorce issues, determining when a person is, or is not, actually a client, properly handling records issues, responding to subpoenas, avoiding multiple and problem relationships, dealing with duty to report and protect issues, and complying with HIPAA laws and rules. If time remains, there will be vignettes to discuss specific case situations.
This is a 4-hour workshop that qualifies as Ethics credits for psychologists. You will receive a 50 page plus handout which lists all of the topics and related legal and other documents covered in the course. The handout is indexed for easy reference in the future.
Glenn Karr is an attorney in private practice who handles insurance, general business and employment matters for clients, including therapists in solo practice and groups. He frequently deals with questions involving professional licensing board issues and defends therapists when complaints are made against them to their licensing boards. Glenn has been a lawyer for fifty years. During Glenn’s years of practice, he has served as the top legal officer of the fifth largest Blue Shield plan in the country, was on the Board of Trustees of one of the first HMO’s formed in Central Ohio, fought managed care companies for many years on behalf of psychologists while working with OPA, and has taught a law school course entitled, “The Regulation of Insurance”. He is listed in the Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers.
The course materials provide the laws and rules for the Psychology Board (§4732-17 OAC) as well as for HIPAA.
Ethics areas covered include Risk Management Issues, Confidentiality, Ethics of Supervision, HIPAA requirements and other regulatory compliance.
There are no cultural diversity issues involved in this presentation.
*(Due to subject matter, this event is open to licensed psychologists only.)
A special thank you to Securities America for being a Major Sponsor* for this event!
Richard E. Martin, CLU, ChFC
Securities America, Inc.
- Psychologist Position – University of Cincinnati, Department of Psychiatry & Behavioral Neuroscience. For more information please click here.
- Please contact CAPP at email@example.com to let us know of any opportunities.
Offices for Rent
- Office Space – Montgomery: Child and Adolescent Psychology Associates (CAPA) has office space available (1 full time-unfurnished AND 1 part time-furnished) at our Montgomery Road location. Providers can elect to either join CAPA (allowing access to group resources such as phone, internet, admin, etc.) OR simply rent office space. CAPA is different from many practices in that each provider owns an independent practice but shares the infrastructure to help reduce those overall costs. More information can be found here https://capapsych.com/join-our-practice-1. Nicole (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Carrie (email@example.com) would be happy to talk with anyone who might be interested 513-589-0900.
- Seeking Contractor – Mason: Part-time contract psychologist evaluation position available immediately in established practice. Requires Psy.D. or Ph.D. and either be licensed in Ohio or PsyPact certified. Regular referrals, office space, office staff, testing materials, etc. provided. Volume of work is up to you. Video evals or in-person as you prefer. We are happy to train. Please contact Sparks Psychological Services and Associates at 513-297-3455 or SparksLLC@icloud.com.
- Office Space – Mason: Offices available in Mason, Ohio. Ongoing, by the day, or by the hour. Very reasonable rates. Large. Comfortable. Nicely furnished. Three of the offices have a wall of windows looking out on a pond with running water. Two are newly renovated. Receptionist present to greet your clients Monday through Friday (hours vary). Evening and weekends are also available. Please contact Steve at Sparks Psychological Services and Associates at 513-297-3455 or SparksLLC@me.com.
Office Space – Kenwood: Convenient, accessible and beautifully maintained office space in Kenwood. C-BANK OFFICE PARK at 8050 Hosbrook. Looking for someone to share space. ONE OFFICE AVAILABLE. Client referrals if desired. Contact SUSAN EPPLE at 513-260-5445 or firstname.lastname@example.org